Thursday, October 22, 2009

Viacom buys rights to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Peter Laird talk's a bit about why he sold the rights to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on his blog.

Peter Laird basically says that selling the rights to the Turtles was always something he and Kevin Eastman had on the table since the TMNT height of fame if they ever ran into a deal they thought was good enough. But the real biggie, is that Laird states that he feels that he has been doing the Turtles for to long and wants to move on.

Creatively I can understand the last part, though part of me wonders couldn't he move on to do other things and still keep the rights to the turtles. That way if whatever he does after TMNT doesn't really hit or he feels a little bit of nostalgia he can always go back to the Turles.

But hey at a $60 million buyout I guess Peter Laird doesn't really have to worry about commercial success with whatever his next project will be.

With this deal Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will now be part of the Nickelodeon brand (which is owned by Viacom)

As an 80's kid I was a big Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan. Not only was I fan of the cartoon as a kid but TMNT was my gateway into Black & White indy comics. I think it's that later point that makes me a little mix on this news, TMNT has been one of the big success stories of indy comics and it's a little sad to see that the brand is no longer owned by the creators but it's also nice to see that someone's ideal can pay off so well for them.

No comments: